Military Tuition Rate
Beginning in fall 2023, undergraduate students who are enrolled in a bachelor’s completion program through the College of Professional Studies (CPS) and 1) are actively serving in the U.S. Military, or 2) the current spouse of an active servicemember, will be eligible for a special Military Tuition Rate (MTR) of $250 per semester hour.
“Actively serving” includes the following categories:
- Full-time active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces;
- Members of the Selected Reserves;
- Members of National Guard units;
- Members of the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service;
- Members of the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
The current spouses of those serving in any of the preceding five categories also qualify.
Eligibility for the MTR must be verified by Northeastern. The student may provide any of the following documents:
- Servicemembers –
- A copy of the servicemember’s Proof of Service Statement or letter that includes current service status;
- A copy of the servicemember’s most recent enlistment or commissioning contract;
- A copy of the servicemember’s most recent Leave and Earnings Statement; or
- A copy of the servicemember’s most recent Tuition Assistance form, if the form contains the End of Time in Service date.
- Spouses –
- A copy of the spouse’s DEERS Form 1172-2; or
- A copy of the spouse’s marriage license and one of the documents set forth above for servicemembers.
Other documentation may be submitted, and Northeastern University will review such documentation on a case-by-case basis. Such documentation will only be deemed sufficient if the student’s military status andEnd of Time in Service are clearly indicated.
Please note that Northeastern University cannot accept copies of U.S. government identification. Photocopying U.S. government issued identification is a violation of Title 18, U.S. Code, Part 1, Chapter 33, Section 701 and is punishable by fine and/or imprisonment.
Students receiving the MTR are required to re-certify their status as actively serving in the U.S. Military (or their spousal eligibility) on a yearly basis. Students who fail to complete the yearly re-certification process by the end of the add/drop period of the Fall semester will be assessed the standard College of Professional Studies undergraduate per-credit tuition rate.
Students Who No Longer Qualify for the Military Tuition Rate
A student who no longer qualifies for the MTR must notify Northeastern staff in the Dolce Center for the Advancement of Veterans and Servicemembers at [email protected] and indicate their change in military affiliation (e.g. separation from the military, divorce from a sponsor, etc.) no later than 15 calendar days after the student does not qualify for the military rate.
If the student’s eligibility for the MTR terminates in the middle of a term, Northeastern will continue to charge the student the military rate until the end of the term in which eligibility expired so long as the student was eligible for the MTR on the first day of that term.
If a student fails to notify Northeastern that he/she no longer qualifies for the MTR, Northeastern may, in its discretion, retroactively charge the student the appropriate tuition rate.