Yellow Ribbon Program
Northeastern University and the Dolce Center for the Advancement of Veterans and Servicemembers (CAVS) in partnership with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) are honored to offer the Yellow Ribbon program. The following information provides a comprehensive review of how you can fund your education using the Yellow Ribbon program in conjunction with the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions such as Northeastern University to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed either the annual maximum cap for private institutions or the resident tuition and fees for a public institution. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses, and the VA will match the same amount as the institution.
Who is eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program?
- You must no longer be on Active Duty
- You must have served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months
- OR you were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
- You were awarded a Purple Heart after 9/11/2001.
- You must be a dependent of a servicemember eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on the veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.
- OR you are a recipient of the Gunnery Sergeant Fry Scholarship
When will Yellow Ribbon funds pay for tuition and fees?
Those eligible for 100% Post-9/11 Benefits are entitled to an annual tuition amount each academic year. This amount varies every academic year; however, for the 2019-2020 academic year, the annual cap is $24,476.79. When tuition and mandatory fees exceed the annual cap, Yellow Ribbon funding is used to cover the balance. Northeastern contributes an unlimited amount of funding for Yellow Ribbon recipients, which the VA will match.
How to Apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program:
- Verify 100% Post-9/11 GI Bill eligibility with the VA
- Visit www.ebenefits.va.gov
- Call 1-888-GIBILL-1
- Provide a Certificate of Eligibility to CAVS
- Email [email protected]
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.